A data center is an environment that allows to aggregate the necessary infrastructure to assure all systems of an organization keep functioning the right way, or, in this case, to deploy products and/or apps. Data centers are designed to ensure the traffic, processing and store of great amounts of data. Atlassian was specifically designed to work as one more option for your customers who can choose to deploy the products they use on the cloud, server or data center, such as Jira Software, Confluence or Jira Service Desk. Its five fundamentals are: high availability, scalability, performance, safety and, of course, cost.
If you use Atlassian tools, using them on the data center option is now a possibility. But is this the best solution for your company? Find out the 8 reasons why you should choose Atlassian on data center version and which is the best moment to upgrade.
Which are the advantages of Atlassian on data center?
- Scalability: Atlassian on data center was specifically designed to grow according to the needs of the companies. You can add nodes to your cluster, without ever needing to worry about performance losses or downtimes (when you plan upgrades, for example, you can activate the read-only feature, which will allow your customers to keep viewing the pages and searching while maintenance works on the background).
- High availability: the storage of all information in active clusters allows teams to access to be constantly and without being interrupted, therefore minimizing flaws that may exist on the company’s applications.
- SAML 2.0: Atlassian on data center uses this protocol in order to ensure compliance and simplify the login experience. This way, Atlassian ensures that the authentication system is safe (through specific tokens).
- Choosing an infrastructure: in the data center model, you can choose to implement the applications on-premise or in IaaS providers, such as Azure or Amazon Web Services.
- Disaster Recovery: Atlassian ensures that your business can keep functioning without any problems, with a complete Disaster Recovery strategy, whether the system interruption was total or partial.
- Verified ecosystem: all applications developed in data center environment are verified on their turnaround times, scales and databases supports.
- Performance warranty: as your organization grows, the need to maintain the quality of the work developed and performance also grow. Atlassian on data center can eliminate everything that sets your team back (for example, through project archiving, which allows you to find the information you are truly looking for).
- Control: you can have full control over the compliance, safety and regulation needs.
When should you upgrade?
Atlassian on data center grants you access to the same functionalities, applications and products than the server. Moreover, both options provide almost full control over your data and infrastructure. However, in comparison, the data center has a few advantages – when your company reaches a new growth level – because, for example, the server runs on only one node and the data center runs on multiple nodes.
The data center was precisely designed to accompany the customers of the server model when they grow and their organization reaches maturity. Therefore, when should you upgrade to data center? Have in mind the following variables:
Number of users: how many users access your apps on a daily basis? According to Atlassian, “apps like Jira Software, Confluence or Bitbucket need more stability when they reach 500 or 1000 users. In the care of Jira Service Desk the upgrades usually take place when 50 users are reached”.
Performance: with the growth of your company, its performance also needs to grow proportionally. To ensure that the performance of your systems is maintained, you should assess if the number of users allows to maintain the same quality.
Downtime: assessing the downtime costs for your company is essential. If you think the costs are high and you cannot work with them, maybe your solution may involve assessing your data center model.
Management: do you think you spend too much time managing requests and taking care of issues that should be simple? The data center provides Administrators a possibility to simplify countless tasks, such as take and grant access or manage requests to change passwords.